Connected Educator Month for States: Making It Count
What Is Connected Educator Month?
Connected Educator Month is a month-long celebration of community, with educators at all levels, from all disciplines, moving towards a fully connected and collaborative profession. Its goals include:
- Helping districts promote and integrate virtual learning into their formal professional development approaches.
- Stimulating and supporting collaboration and innovation in professional development
- Getting more educators “connected” (to each other)
- Deepening and sustaining the learning of those already connected
For more information about Connected Educator Month, see the Department of Education’s CEM 2012 report
Connected Educator Month provides SEAs with the opportunity to:
- Work with U.S. Department of Education, leading professional organizations/associations and other states to provide professional learning in support of the President’s ConnectED initiative.
- Use Connected Educator Month to advance your other key education goals (CEM will include events/activities related to virtually every key educational issue, in an online community/network context) by:
- Using CEM to generate press/media attention (see sample press release)
- Creating and sharing your own CEM with your districts, using a simple tool we’ll be providing, and events/activities on the CEM calendar that reflect your priorities (coming soon)
- Getting recognition for participation, and levels of participation (TBD)
- Getting access to available state-specific data on Connected Educator Month participation and other metrics.
How To Participate
Undertake any of the following activities (only the first is required):
- Tell all your districts about the event — see sample communications here (there are a number of potentially helpful additional resources available to you in the CEM Resource Center)
- Engage with the Title II group in your state about Connected Educators Month (e.g. bring them to a CEM state event).
- Do a press release, get a proclamation made, make an award related to the event.
- Share with us what you’re doing at the state level.
- Share model districts in your state that are using and recognizing online social learning as part of their professional development.
- Put an event/activity on the Connected Educators Month calendar and promote it.
- Post a challenge on the Connected Educators Month action list (coming soon).
(We’ve just started reaching out to state leaders, and the response has been very positive–the list at right only represents official confirmations and will be growing soon–unlike some groups, we won’t add your state to the list just because someone living in your state says they’re participating!)
Special Connected Educators Month State Events, Activities
Calendar coming soon!